Notes: Living and Learning with New Media Part 2
This is a continuation of my notes from the MacArthur Foundation report from their Digital Youth Project. This section focuses on “Messing Around.”
- “Messing Around” – involves experimentation and exploration with relatively low investment, where there are few consequences to trial, error, and even failure. [Dream Big, and Take Risks]
- 87 percent [teens] reported using a search engine at least once a week. “lurking”
- Self-directed and the outcomes of the activity emerge through exploration.
- Youth are pursuing topics on their own.
- Exploration leads to tinkering which leads to serious engagement to perfect work.
- Games such as Neopets allow customization for youth to engage in game design.
- Peer-based learning